- Academic Resources
- About Principia College
- Admissions Counselors
- Financial Aid
- Admitted Students
What to Pack
You'll change rooms every term, and storage areas are limited, so we recommend packing moderately. You can store personal belongings during breaks and over the summer in our trunk rooms, subject to space availability. Our rooms are furnished with basic items, and each student will have a desk and chair, twin bed, dresser, mirror, and closet space.
Remember, if you’re attending a sports camp, pack things for sports camp separately from the things you’ll drop off and store in your house for the term.
- Bible, Science and Health, Prose Works, Manual, Hymnal
- 4-year subscription to the Bible Lesson (CS Quarterly, Full Text, subscription to eBibleLesson or the JSH-online scbscription through the CSPS Student portal, etc.)
- lockable trunk for your room (see sample)
- plastic tubs with lids for summer and winter storage (bring enough to hold all in your room; designed to keep out mice and moisture) (see sample)
- alarm clock
- cell phone (AT&T has a tower on campus; other providers may not get service here)
- backpack and/or book bag
- 2 sets of extra-long twin bedsheets*
- comforter, blankets, and pillow(s)*
- towels and washcloths
- calendar and school supplies (pens, pencils, paper, desk lamp, etc)
- calculator (for math, science, and some business courses)
- extension cords and surge protectors (must be UL-listed for 1875 watts or greater with a fuse)
- clothes hangers
- laundry bag or basket
- liquid laundry detergent (can purchase locally)
- toiletries and plastic or plastic coated storage basket
- clothes for all seasons (temperatures can range from 0°F/-20°C to 90°F/32°C with humidity), and special occasions (costume, formal)
- debit or ATM card (American Express, MasterCard, Visa, Cirrus, Plus, Maestro, Shazam, Quest); or you can get a local bank account when you arrive. The campus store will only accept cash, checks, and credit cards when paying for supplies.
- laptop or tablet computer (discounts and recommended systems and software)
- sports equipment
- electronic equipment or appliances (must be 1100 watts or less)
- small refrigerator
- iron, if you want your own
- crates or bookshelves
- wall hangings (must use wall grooves or moldings to hang pictures and putty-type adhesive to hang posters); tapestries must be fireproof
Don't bring these!
- fireworks (they’re illegal in Illinois)
- weapons: knives (no blade over 3"), guns (including Airsoft/paintball), etc.
- hazardous materials of any kind
- personal furniture
- candles and incense (no open flames allowed)
- landline phones, answering machines (Principia provides voicemail)
- toasters, hot plates, popcorn poppers that use oil
- wireless access point, wireless or wired router, or any device that can be configured to offer DHCP service (these interfere with the College network)
*All linens will be supplied for international students.