- About Principia College
- Admissions Counselors
- Financial Aid
- Admitted Students
Principia College Community Commitment
Members of the Principia community share this commitment:
Strive to understand and express God in all you do
Conquer “all that is unlike God”1
Love God and your neighbor as yourself2
We are joined together as a community of practice to focus on what divine Love has created us to be and to do. And so in good faith, and in support of every member of my community, I sincerely commit (year-round while enrolled, on and off campus) to these daily endeavors:
Strive to understand God and demonstrate all that God has made me to be:
- Loving and selfless
- Charitable and forgiving
- Intelligent and joyful
- Honest and respectful
- Full of grace
Conquer qualities and behaviors that are self-destructive and prevent me from growing and helping others:
- I will be watchful and replace selfishness, self-will, and dishonesty with selflessness, honesty, and obedience to Christ Jesus and our Leader, Mary Baker Eddy.
- I will replace any form of unkindness, hatred, gossip, or harassment with love.
- I will replace sensualism of every kind, including sexual activity,3 with purity and the expression of divine Love, honoring and protecting my own and others’ true identity.
- I will replace the world’s materialism and acceptance of violence and material power with wisdom and dominion.
- I will reject the use of mind-altering or self-destructive substances such as drugs, including alcohol- and tobacco-related products, replacing all such things with self-government, courage, and freedom.
Love God, who is my Life, and love my neighbor as myself through these practices:
- Holding myself and others accountable to our best spiritual selfhood through moral courage
- Praying for myself, our Church, the Principia community, and the world—and upholding Quiet Time4 for this purpose
- Healing whatever needs healing through the Science of the Christ
- God has created me for this purpose, as shown by Christ Jesus.
- The world is calling on me for help, and I am learning how to give it.
1Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy, p. 262
2 Luke 10:27
3 Including extra- or pre-marital sex, pornography, sexting, etc. (See dictionary definitions of “sexual activity.”)
4 Quiet Time consists of three 20-minute blocks of time for prayer each week.